Tuesday, March 30, 2010



I decided to do my cultural essay assignment on the the Centennial.I made this decision based off the fact I wanted to know more about the history of the college I'm attending. One thing that caught my attention was the old band uniform from the 1960s. I loved band in high school and met many of close friends. The marching band uniform was a tribute to the Scottish heritage of former University President William D. McCain. I also saw the ROTC Drill Team uniform from the 1960s. I also learned about the first president W.H. Smith and the first acting President, which was Joseph Anderson Cook and the library is named after him. Mrs. Florence Burrow Pope was very important in that she is the reason for the black and gold colors we have come to love and support. She submitted suggestions for which is now our school colors. The centennial exhibit is something I think all USM students should go and see I learned so much more about the University.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica Wells
    March 30, 2010
    Centennial Exhibit


    When I first started college, I didn’t know much about the history. I really decided to come to USM because of my friends. But after a while I see why they chose this University. Now I’m a proud student and wanted to know more about the history of the school. I had been hearing about the Centennial but didn’t know what it was all about. So when I had to do this assignment on something cultural I decided this would be the perfect subject. I went to the exhibit and saw many things to my interest. The first thing that caught my eye was the Marching band uniform. I was in band in high school and loved it. It’s the same place where I met many of my friends. The uniform was from the 1960s. I also saw the ROTC Drill team uniform. The material was very old. I also saw the great bell which the rivals, Tulane always wanted as their prize. I learned who came up with the school colors, which was Mrs. Florence Burrow Pope. She suggested the black and gold colors which the student body voted on and it was chosen. Something else I learned was the first president was. W.H. Smith he wasn’t the first acting president, Joseph Anderson Cook was and the library was named after him as a tribute. I think the exhibit was a great way to find out about the history of the University. I would enjoy all the students to go out and take a look at least once.

    ReplyDelete